Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Curriculum Night!

Curriculum Night



It's that time again!! We have been at school one week and two days and now we are getting ready for Curriculum Night! This is when parents come to our classroom to get a feel for what the year will be like for their child.

As we begin the year, we talk about our fears and "jitters" (We read "First Day Jitters") and then throw them away (SO cute when you bring out the trash can and have them ball their jitters up and toss them in!! Shooting a basket in class?!? What?!? Ha!). I share that one of my jitters is when I am in front of crowds. To help alleviate the amount of time I am front and center on Curriculum Night, I have my students create a video for our parents to watch. Genius!! Plus, who doesn't love to watch children?!?!

We brainstorm a list of what we think the parents need to know or see around our classroom (mailboxes, reading corner, homework banner, BYOT, etc.). Students sign up for the part at appeals to them the most (in pairs) and then they break into their pairs and come up with a short scene for that part/area (max 30 seconds). It's great to watch them work together! Viola! A classroom tour is created! I just embed this in my PowerPoint (or show it separately) and the parents love it!!



When parents walk in for Curriculum Night, they head to their child's desk. On it, they will find a few things for them. (I have students help me set their desks up the afternoon before they leave-along with a note card with their names on them showing the parents where they sit in case I am with another parent or in the middle of my presentation when they come in!)

-a copy of the PowerPoint presentation for them to follow along with, take notes, and look back on (if needed) 
*I used the PowerPoint template found HERE on TPT. I just edited it for my classroom needs!

-a note from each child to their parents-I love this touch! It welcomes their parents to Curriculum Night and shares their favorite parts of our classroom or moments thus far. Parents can even write back to them on the back...and students love notes from their parents!!

Notice how this child was looking out for her teacher!! How sweet! Many of them had touches of this in their letters! 

-2 blank envelopes-I ask parents to self address these envelopes so I can use them to send positive "glow" notes home! All I need to do is stuff, stamp, and send! :) (So thankful to a colleague of mine for this fantastic idea!!! I can't wait to see how this works out this year!!)

These were found at Target...200 envelopes and corresponding note cards! Yay!!

-an envelope with a label on it asking parents to take a moment over the course of the week and write a letter to me about their child. You'd be surprised how insightful these can be! There are times I ask for these at Open House, but I've found that asking for them once they've gotten into the year guarantees more participation and honesty. I love these! (Click HERE for the link to the labels, if you'd like to use them!)

I love the letters I get back from parents! 


Once Curriculum Night is completed, I head home and SLEEP!! After a close to 13 hour day, my bed is just what I need!! I hope your Curriculum Nights go smoothly!! I'd love to hear what you do in your classroom. Please let me know if you have any questions-I am happy to help!

<3, Kristina



No comments:

Post a Comment